When people talk about “games”, people would think of video games first. It’s true that video games are a big thing nowadays. But there are also other kinds of games that don’t require machines. These are called Board games or Tabletop games.
Board games are the old-school games that require things like cards, markers, board, dice and other stuff. Something like “Monopoly” might be familiar to many people. Right now, the popularity of board games (at least in Thailand) has been increasing. Many “Board games cafes” have been popping up all over the place, where people will gather around and play their favorite board games. There are also many Youtube channels and Twitch streamers playing and streaming board games sessions.
Video games have been adapting or using the concept of board games. Board games like Werewolf, Mafia, and Avalon have been re-create as a digital version, while adding some new features that are only possible in the digital forms. Other games like Mario Party and Pummel Party have adapted the concept of board games to create a party game full of many mini-games. Something like Deceit and Town of Salem use some elements that can be found in board games as one of their mechanics or ways to play the game. An example is the deception in Deceit, where the infected have to act like they are not infected, while finding the opportunity to kill all of the survivors before they escape.
But what many people might not realize, is that Board games are a type of “Tabletop Games”. They are also gaining more popularity. The term Tabletop means that it is a game that is played on a table or other flat surface. Things like Chess, card games, strategy games, and even paper and pencil games are a part of tabletop games. Also, each category separates into many kinds of its own.
Now, going through all of the categories might be too much, but I want to focus on one other type of game that is gaining more popularity. It is also one of my new hobbies I started doing during the quarantine. I’m talking about the strategy games, specifically the miniature wargame called Warhammer 40,000.
Miniature wargame is the game that players collect and paint their miniatures, build an army of their own, and put their army against another player’s army. Warhammer 40,000, produced by Games Workshop since 1987, is probably the most popular miniature wargame in the world.
As it’s name said, Warhammer 40,000 is set in the far future 40,000 years from now. Humanity of the Imperium of Man, once the most powerful factions in the galaxy, are now in constant struggles against other alien races (aka – Xenos), supernatural beings in the twisted dimension called The Warp, and the traitor human factions who join the four Chaos Gods.Each faction also has its own unique characteristic and playstyles, such as
- The Imperial Guard – normal human soldiers with World War 1-2 estetic, is considered the “horde” army (have a lot of models in the army). Their playstyle is to make a gun line and overwhelming the enemy with firepower from their soldiers and tanks
- The Space Marines – The posterboys of Warhammer 40,000. They are the superhuman soldiers in the power armor, wielding futuristic weapons. They are considered the “Jack of all traits” factions, due to they can fit in any playstyle the player wants. Depending on the “Chapter” that the player chooses, they can be good at melee, range combat, hit-and-run, forming gunline, hold positions, or taking objectives. They are also the best army for the beginner, due to the fact that they are the “standard” army that have not too many or too many miniatures in the army, and can perform well in every phase of combat.
- Grey Knight – Secret chapter of the Space Marines in which every member is a Phyker. They are consider the “elite” army (only few units in the army) and are specialized in melee combat and using “psychic ability” (basically magic in this universe)
- Necron – The ancient machine who has been slumbered for millions of years, now has been awakened by the disturbance from the outside. Their units are tough but slow. They also have a special ability that allows them to revive any models that have been killed.
- Ork – A comic-relief green-skinned alien with a ramshackle weaponry and vehicle that looks like scraps stick together, but win battle through sheer numbers and brutality. They are the horde army with terrible shooting, but very powerful in melee and win through their sheers numbers.
- Tau – A new alien race with eastern-inspired aesthetic. They utilize a long-range plasma rifle and a very powerful mechanic-suit. They have the best range weapon and have tons of rules that prevent enemies from approaching your army. Their weakest point is that they have no melee abilities.
With its futuristic, grim dark setting, deep and complicated lore and stories, and the variety of factions to choose from, make this probably the most popular miniature wargame in the industry for more than 30 years. And with the quarantine taking place all around the world, it causes many people to have a lot of free time on their hands.
With these free times, people start to find things to do. With the power of the internet, many people stumble on the world of Warhammer 40,000. Many people start collecting models, paint their army, and wait for the situation to get better so that they can meet up and play together again.
Also, with the launch of the 9th edition and the new box “Indomitus”, which focus on the rise of the Necron due to their ancient leader “Szarekh – the Silent King” has return from his self-imposed exile, and the Space Marines who fight back the rising Necron. More people are now starting to get into this hobby. As at the writing of this article, the Indomitus box has all been sold out. So much so that Games Workshop has to come up with the made-to-order of Indomitus box.
Are you interested in gaming updates with insights from the games localization industry? Follow us on Facebook Games Localization.